Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thing #9 Collaboration



Thing #9: Using Google Docs to Post to this blog: A Library Story
I still remember when I got my first library card. The children’s section in my hometown library was called “The Magic Carpet Room.” Choosing my own books was a step to growing up. Other childhood library memories include silent games of tag my brothers and I tried to get away with, scrambling up and down the metal steps, over the glass-floored, tall stacks in the adult library. Someone always shushed us, of course. And the bad times when my mother said we could not go to the library until one of us found the long overdue book, a black mark on the whole family!
People still worry about lost library books, even after extreme situations like floods. Last September at the Rushford Public Library, I watched as woman brought in several books and asked about any others that her family might have borrowed. Their house had flooded, she said, and they’d probably lost some books. Librarian Sue Hart assured her not to worry about lost books or fines. The Rushford Public Library, always a key information-center, became a place of comfort and security amid disaster. Soon, library groups from other towns even helped pay for the many books ruined in flooded homes.

No comments: