Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thing #10, Wikis

I've looked up various subjects on Wikipedia and also instructed high schoolers as to its benefits as well as drawbacks. Wikipedia is quick and easy to use, as long as one understands its possible drawbacks.
I agree that wikis are a good collaborative tool for online communities, groups with a common purpose, though some outside the group can interrupt the process.
Joyce Yukawa's presentation lists several good uses. For example, BookLovers Wiki from Princeton Public Library and one for listing recent additions, like that of Provo City Library.
The "23 Things on a Stick List of Messed Up Classics to Edit" shows an effective group exercise.
In reading about wikis, I found Shelfari and started my bookshelf.

1 comment:

Pat Thomas said...

Okay, I got signed up for this, started a blog but don't know if I will use it or not. Thanks,
Pat