Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Garden Time Again

SE Minnesota is finally warming up. Last week, on one of the first beautiful spring afternoons here, we shoveled a load of manure onto the garden, B. tilled it in, and I started planting. Just 2 rows of onions so far, with a row of lettuce mix in between. Though I'm eager to plant more, it's still a bit early. I'm pleased that two alpine pansies already blossomed in a protected spot near the drive. More soon . . . .
Inside, one pink bloom has almost opened on one of the 6 geranium plants I potted in March. Last fall I shook the dirt away from their roots and stripped off most of the leaves. The plants were stored in paper bags in my unheated basement all winter. Most survived. Next I'll divide some of the lankier ones into two plants each.
Sunday we hosed down the screen house, bleached and scrubbed the floor, and washed the chairs. Ready for summer!
No blossoms on the shamrock plants, but the leaves look healthy.

Just as I wonder / whether it's going to die, / the orchid blossoms // and I can't explain why it / moves my heart...

From The Orchid Flower
by Sam Hamill

No comments: