Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Thing #17: ELM Productivity Tools

The ELM Productivity Tools include several databases plus web page and notes features to help a person research efficiently. After watching the video and trying unsuccessfully to get the RSS feed for my EBSCO search on youth smoking onto my Google Reader page, I looked at the comments for Thing 17. Thanks to step-by-step directions from "Julie's 23 Web Activities on a Stick," it worked. I created an EBSCO Host folder a few days ago and already found two new articles in the folder.
For Step Two, I created a web page for sock knitting, including text, links, and an illustration. The web page feature would work well for any teaching unit. I sure wish I'd investigated it a few years ago. Step Three's email and downloading of the web page of the refined search about social networking worked well too.
Step four: I created an account in NetLibrary and found the title 101 Ways to Promote Your Web Site but got this messge: We're sorry, your library's copies of this eContent are currently in use. I used another ebook about web pages and made a note.
I agree that if I want to help others use the databases, I need to learn to use them efficiently. These exercises are a good way to try out a variety of the ELM resources and extra features.

No comments: